Application for 2022-2023 Section Leader!
Returning section leaders must audition every year.
Even if you feel you have no shot this year but want to do it later, we highly encourage you to audition to get a feel for the process.
The audition consists of 5 parts: All materials are due before 9AM on Monday April 18
- Fill out the application information at https://forms.gle/ghsQKE8V1yc1SHry6
- Submit to Dr. Bennefield a letter of recommendation from one member of your section and EITHER one professor/instructor NOT involved in bands OR an additional member of your section. (This year’s DM applicants can use the professor letter from that process). This can be e-mail, e-mail attachments, or actual letters.
- E-mail to Turner (email@example.com) a link to both of your unlisted (NOT private) YouTube videos:
- Skill Video: performing the marching/playing routine posted below; AND
- Teaching Video: teaching another band member (or members) a marching movement of your choice. Mark time CANNOT be the movement.
*******It doesn’t have to be on a lined field…just somewhere that we can see good marching and good teaching. (And yes….some of you are inexperienced at teaching…we just want to see your natural demeanor when teaching)
- Sign up for a group interview time. We’ll distribute available dates and times once we know how many applicants we have.
- Interviews will be around April 18-19 and April 24-26
- There are no individual interviews…only groups
- Perform at the spring game on April 23rd
- Details coming soon, but the band is back for our annual spring football game (really a scrimmage to end spring practice…more info at https://wsucougars.com/news/2022/3/8/football-cougars-ready-for-2022-spring-practice.aspx ).
- We do a volunteer band (with alumni) and play in the stands for the game
- To be considered for a leadership position, you must play at this event, or have an approved conflict
Video titles must use this format:
[Firstname] [Lastname] Skill Video
[Firstname] [Lastname] Teaching Video
Skill Video instructions:
Guard members should inquire with your Instructor.
|Forward 8 [8:5]||8 counts of F|
- (2 whole-notes, tied)
|- 8 on a hand
- HH quarters
|Right Slide (Crab for drums) [8:5]||8 quarters on F|
- legato tonguing
|- 4 cts 16th notes @3", 4 cts 16th note crescendo to 12"
- CrCh on count 1
|Backwards 8 [8:5)||8 quarters on F|
|- 2 cts triplet check,2 cts tap drags, 2 check, 2 tap fives
- TapCh on 1&3
|Left Slide (Crab for drums) [16:5]||8 cts staccato triplets on F|
|- 16 on left hand
- SizSuk 8th notes
|Forward 8, Backwards 8 [6:5]||Quarters up and down F scale|
- Firm Articulation
- Repeat top note
|- 16 double stops
- Crash quarters